Thursday, October 03, 2013

A Rusty, Silvery Hull...

Painting has begun on the hull/running gear of the D9R. Having everything modular and not all glued up helps with the painting. After searching the web for some dirty shots of a D9 I came across these two D9s' getting transported somewhere in Iraq. Somehow my aim is to try to replicate this.

















In order for me to replicate this a technique call hairspray chipping will be used. Eventually you use the hairspray as a standoff layer to reveal the underlying layer of paint. First off I started with a very light layer of Mr. Surfacer 1200 primer, followed by a brew of Tamiya paints in rust tones.Then to replicate the worn/polished layer from the sand on the hull I used Model Master Metalizer Aluminum. All pints were thinned with lacquer thinner to a consistency of 2% milk.




More to build, more to follow...






No comments:

Post a Comment