Sunday, May 03, 2015

"Sandy" Tamiya A-1J Skyraider

One of my favorite aircraft and models. This one has been sitting half assembled for years. Lately I decided to finish it. I removed the upper spine antennas to aid in getting a clean join along the top. I'll replace those antenna with aftermarket replacements from Quick-boost. I added a resin seat replacement from True Details. The fit is a bit tight. Some chopping and heavy sanding is needed.

The engine was OOTB painted with Metalizers and Vallejo/Tamiya paints. The landing gear were modified and enhanced with hydraulic lines (lead wire) and tape.

All details were left off for ease of painting. Note to self. Leave antennas off next time! I just about broke all of them while handing. New ones set aside for last minute attachment.

Mr Surfacer 1200 and painted with Tamiya paints. I used leveling thinner from Gunze for a smooth finish. I didn't want to overcoat the entire model with gloss. I can never get gloss to look right. For the camouflage pattern I used a custom vinyl mask for outlining the sections. Next weapons and weathering.

Full Photo-set: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cramsey/sets/72157652338996145/








No comments:

Post a Comment